Effective August 10, 2023, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is now accepting four new language English tests for Student Direct Stream (SDS) applicants.
The approved English language tests include:
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic
- Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based test (TOEFL iBT)
Apart from these tests, students can also take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) General Training or Academic tests to apply for Study Visa in Canada. It's important to highlight that the changes to IELTS requirements for the SDS will also be implemented on August 10th:
- For applications submitted starting from August 10, 2023, an IELTS Academic overall band score of 6.0 is mandatory; this score is calculated as the average of all individual skill section scores.
- For those who submitted applications with IELTS Academic prior to August 10, 2023, a score of 6.0 is required in each skill area (speaking, listening, reading, and writing).
- Similarly, if you're applying for IELTS General Training, a score of 6.0 in each skill section will still be necessary, whether it's before or after August 10, 2023.
Calculate Your CRS Score in 60 Seconds
Score Requirements to be eligible
Students must show test results abilities across all four language abilities i.e., Listening, Reading, Speaking, and Writing to be eligible for the Student Direct Stream (SDS).
|Language Test ||Minimum Score Required |
|Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) General ||CLB 7 |
|Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL) ||60 |
|Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic ||60 |
|Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) iBT Test ||83 |
Students must take one of the approved language tests in-person format as online or remotely taken tests will not be accepted. Prior to this change, IRCC only accepted IELTS and TEF language test results.
For detailed news: Click Here!